EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL FINISHES
Multi-component external wall insulation and finishing system, consisting of one or more layers and/or formed components of rigid thermal insulation (EPS, PU or other) in combination with limestone brick slips (BrickPlus ™) and/or window cills, door surrounds and decorative ornaments consisting of EPS core coated with limestone(StonePlus ™).
Thermal insulation and limestone finishing system for new and retrofit building projects or as component of an insulation system and/or to match existing brick work (BrickPlus ™ ) and/or to match existing naturalstone cladding and lining (StonePlus ™ ).
CONDITIONS OF USE
The assessment of BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ relates to the use of the product in dwellings and buildings with similar temperature and humidity conditions with either correctly installed masonry or naturalstone cladding and lining on external cavity orsolid walls, which have been designed and constructed in accordance with, but not limited to, the relevant clauses of BS 5628 2 and BS 8298 3 or any other structurally sound substrates of walls. BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ shall not be exposed to organic solvents or plasticisers.
BDA Test Institute* ) has assessed the thermal performance of the thermal insulation component of the BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ system according to BS EN 12667 4 . The resistance to dynamic wind forces has been assessed according to ETAG 004 5 and the characteristic properties 9 according to BS EN 13163:2008, BS EN 1297:2004, BS EN 826:1996 and BS EN 1607:1996/AC:1997. The resistance to moisture, resistance to freeze/thaw, durability of pointing and limestone, resistance against abrasion as well asthe effects of creep/expansion/settlement and contraction have been determined and assessed by putting two full-size mock-ups of BrickPlus ™ and StonePlus ™ systems to a thermalshock test of 10 weeks 10 . The ageing has been performed according to EN 1297:2004, after which the fading of colour has been determined 9 . The performance in actual practice has been assessed by inspecting projects 16.
CPD/CPR Notified Laboratory Nr. NB 1640; Testing Accreditation RvA L 447 (acknowledged by UKAS)
It is recommended that the quality of installation and workmanship is controlled by an independent competent inspector. This inspector can be either a qualified employee of the specifier or a qualified employee of a consulting engineer. The system shall be installed strictly in accordance with the instructions of the Certificate holder and the requirements of this Certificate.
The validity of this document islimited to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, with due regard to section 10. Regulations.
The purpose of this BDA Agrément ™ is to provide for well-founded confidence to apply BrickPlus ™ and StonePlus ™ systems in certain described applications and according to approved specifications. According the BDA Guideline - BDA Agrément ®1 this means that the validity of this document is three years after the official date of issue, published on www.bda.nl. After this the validity can be extended every three years after positive review.
BrickPlus ™ / StonePlus ™ system components are produced under a Quality Management System, which enables the Certificate holder to demonstrate that the components fulfil the requirements of this Certificate. This means that the following aspects are covered:
- the quality objectives, quality planning, quality manual and control of documents must fully take on-board the objective of delivering system components that conform to the specificationsin this Certificate;
- the manufacturer must identify and document the essential requirements that are relevant for the components and the harmonised standards to be used or other technical solutions that will ensure fulfilment of the specifications in this Certificate;
- the identified standards or other technical solutions must be used as design input, and as verification that design output, as given in a continuous technical consulting service, ensures that the specifications in this Certificate will be met;
- the measures taken by the Certificate holder to control production must ensure that the components conform to the identified safety requirements;
- the Certificate holder in its measurement and control of the production process and finished components must identify and use methods which are identified in standards or other appropriate methods to ensure that the specifications in this Certificate are met; and
- quality records,such as inspection reports and test data, calibration data, qualification reports of the personnel concerned, must be suitable to ensure the fulfilment of the applicable specifications in this Certificate.
- installation of BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ and ancillary items should be in accordance with the Certificate holder's instructions and current good building practice;
- during installation care must be taken to avoid damaging of the components; should damage occur, holes in the limestone should be repaired with suitable lime mortar, as provided by the Certificate holder;
- the components should be attached to the substrate by applying the appropriate adhesive, as provided by the Certificate holder; in certain cases (additional) mechanical fixing will be required as specified by the Certificate holder;
- all openings between the components and other elements in the external wall such as window cills, window heads and door surrounds shall be thoroughly filled with Insta Stik PU foam in accordance with the Certificate holder's instructions;
- when an element will have to be cut to fit around openings or connections, gaps must be minimised; any remaining opening shall be thoroughly filled with PU Expanding Foam in accordance with the Certificate holder's instructions.
- the BrickPlus ™ panels and StonePlus ™ elements are delivered on site in a protective packaging and should include product component name, dimensions, the BDA identification mark, fitting instructions and the number of this Certificate;
- the components should be stored in clean, dry conditions, not exposed to sunlight;
- the components must be protected from being dropped or crushed by objects; care must be exercised when storing large quantities on site;
- the components must not be exposed to open flame or other ignition sources and must be stored away from flammable material such as paint and solvents;
- to ensure maximum performance of the component when installed, on site precautions must be taken to protect it from mud and dirt.
- right from the start of a project, specifically for applications on existing buildings, the substrate on the actual location must be assessed to establish its being fit for purpose; it is strongly recommended to perform a pulling test on the adhesion;
- the gluing of BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ is only possible on a substrate fit for purpose; it is essential that the Certificate holder formulates specific performance requirements with respect to aspects such as:
- durable strength of the structure which must be capable of absorbing all forms of external loadings
- durable adhesion of the glue
- pre-treatment of the substrate
- in case the fitness for purpose has not been demonstrated, installation of the BrickPlus ™ /StonePlus ™ system is not allowed within the framework of this Certificate.
- bricks or blocks shall be installed in accordance with BS 5628 2 ; recommendations of the brick/block manufacturer should be followed;
- natural stone cladding and lining shall be installed in accordance with BS 8298 3 ; recommendations of the stone cladding and lining manufacturer should be followed;
- the BrickPlus ™ panels shall only be applied under ground level when mechanically fixed with stainless steel fasteners (AISI 316, dimensions and pattern properly designed); with all other forms of installation it must be kept free of any contact with the ground.
- once installed strictly in accordance with the requirements of this Certificate and of the Certificate holder, the product only requires normal maintenance, comparable with the maintenance asrequired for masonry and naturalstone structures;
- the Certificate holder must continue to provide a technical consulting service, such as but not limited to special (cad) details.